Dear Takoma Park and Silver Spring families and friends,
The next several weeks are very busy for Tommy’s Pantry! Yesterday we celebrated Earth Day at the TPSS Co-op. Children and adults came by our booth to plant seeds of herbs to take home, grow and remind us all that the earth provides us with bounty if we take care of it. It was such a pleasure to meet new families, say hello to our old friends, hear music and enjoy the University Maryland Insect Zoo located right next to us – the hissing cockroaches, maybe a little too close.
Next Saturday, April 29th at the Takoma Park Dog Park, Tommy’s Pantry will be sponsoring a pet food and supply drive in support of the Humane Rescue Alliance. In keeping with the sentiment of our namesake, Tommy Raskin, we are hosting this drive to “take care of the people and animals”. Whether you have a dog or cat or no pet at all, please pick up some supplies for the beautiful animals being taken care of and adopted at the Humane Rescue Alliance. Check us out on Instagram (tommyspantrytkpk) – we’re featuring some of our own beloved pets, some of whom were adopted at Humane Rescue Alliance. We hope to see you there along with your furry family.
Sunday, April 30th Diana and Billy Conway will be hosting the Tommy’s Pantry Spring Fling. Tickets are going fast, so get yours soon! Come to the party to enjoy some light refreshments, catch up with old friends, make new friends and hear what we have planned for Tommy’s Pantry this Spring. When good people fill a room, anything is possible and we need your help to keep our grassroots organization going!
On May 7th, our great friend and tireless Tommy’s Pantry volunteer and supporter, Claudia Rodriquez will be running a half marathon at the Frederick Running Festival to raise funds for Tommy’s Pantry! We thank her and cheer her on as she trains in the neighborhood. Go Claudia Go!
Finally, on May 13th, the Silver Spring Cello Choir is hosting a concert with the proceeds going to Tommy’s Pantry. The Cello Choir practices and makes frequent appearances at the Church of the Ascension. For those of you who don’t know, the Church of the Ascension is where Tommy’s Pantry lives. During the pandemic they graciously offered us space to store, assemble and distribute boxes to our neighbors in need. They are incredibly supportive and continue to introduce us to more and more of the community. Come hear this beautiful music!
Please read on for more details of all our upcoming events and how to attend.
As always, we couldn’t continue this work without the kindness and generosity of this incredible community. All of us at Tommy’s Pantry continue to be awestruck by you and your support!
Wendy Kent, President
- Calling All Animal Lovers: Tommy’s Pantry will host a Pet Food & Supply Drive on Saturday, April 29th from 2-4 pm at the Takoma Park dog park. All items collected will benefit the Humane Rescue Alliance. More details can be found on the News page of our website. Let us know you’re coming at https://www.zeffy.com/en-US/ticketing/771a2cfb-fb75-45e9-8e05-d1bf226c9148
- Spring Fling: Don’t forget to buy tickets to the Spring Fling, our Tommy’s Pantry Spring Fundraiser. This new event will feature light refreshments and conversation with community icons, and will take place on Sunday, April 30 from 4-6pm. Our gracious thanks to our hosts Diana and Billy Conway, who have provided their beautiful Potomac home as the venue for this year’s event. Tickets are available at https://www.zeffy.com/en-US/ticketing/3a1700be-de4b-44b9-9744-bf6da6c23a16 Please check our News, Instagram (@tommyspantrytkpk), and Facebook feeds for additional details.
- Run for Tommy’s Pantry (or Sing, Dance, etc.)! On May 7th, one of our supporters, Claudia Rodriguez, is running a half marathon at the Frederick Running Festival to raise funds for Tommy’s Pantry. If you would like to sponsor her run, go to https://www.zeffy.com/en-US/peer-to-peer/8ec8c9f3-3eca-4934-bdea-408bfe1269fe. If you are interested in setting up Tommy’s Pantry as a beneficiary of a race or performance you are involved in, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Silver Spring Cello Choir Benefit: On Saturday, May 13th, at 7pm, the Silver Spring Cello Choir is hosting a concert with the proceeds benefiting Tommy’s Pantry. The event is donation-optional, open to the public, and will be held at the Church of the Ascension, 633 Sligo Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910. If you would like to contribute to this event and support our efforts, go to: https://www.zeffy.com/en-US/ticketing/5432e46d-ebe9-4bc7-976b-ef2f0164c5dc.
Produce Grant Renewed
- We are delighted to report that CAFB has agreed to continue providing Tommy’s Pantry with monthly deliveries of 320 boxes of assorted fresh fruits and vegetables. Fresh produce will continue to be available at all of our Saturday food distributions through June 17th (and likely to continue beyond). Check the News page on our website for real-time produce updates.
- NEW May dates are available to sign up to volunteer! Visit the Tommy’s Pantry Sign Up page to volunteer to help alleviate food insecurity in our community. Students can earn SSL hours. You can also inquire about group volunteer bookings and on-site corporate volunteer events (NEW!) by emailing Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org. Ages 11 and up. Age minimum does not apply to group bookings. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0c4eaca72ea1fe3-tommys#/
- Special thanks to our recent volunteer groups: Girl Scouts and First UCC DC!
Tommy’s Pantry News & Social Media: NOW on Facebook
- Visit our NEW Tommy’s Pantry Facebook page to learn about our Spring Fling and how Tommy’s Pantry founding members Wendy Kent and Sarah Goupell were recently featured in Historic Takoma’s “Women Shaping Takoma” window display.
- The Tommy’s Pantry website features a News tab, where you can stay up-to-date with our latest newsletters, donation drives, and events. You can also follow us on Instagram (@tommyspantrytkpk) and Twitter (@tommyspantry) to get the latest updates and photos from our packing and distribution events.
Receive Assistance with Food & Wellness Items
- Family health/wellness and cleaning supplies will be distributed on Saturday, May 6th, at 7:30 am while supplies last. Available at the back of Church of the Ascension, across the street from East Silver Spring Elementary (630 Silver Spring Ave, Silver Spring, MD). Walk-ups, please email email@example.com in advance.
- Boxes of shelf-stable food and fresh fruits and vegetables will be offered on Saturday, May 20th, at 7:30 am while supplies last. Available at the back of Church of the Ascension, across the street from East Silver Spring Elementary (630 Silver Spring Ave, Silver Spring, MD). Walk-ups, please email firstname.lastname@example.org in advance.
- For the 2022-2023 school year, breakfast, lunch, and dinner will no longer be free for all MCPS students. Funds can be added to student lunch accounts using MySchoolBucks or payments can be made directly to the cafeteria using cash or a check. Families that qualify for any level of Free and Reduced Meals (FARMS) support will still receive FREE meals. Apply online at www.MySchoolApps.com .
Thank you so much for supporting this important community initiative.
Tommy’s Pantry President
Tommy’s Pantry Vice President
Tommy’s Pantry Treasurer
Tommy’s Pantry Secretary
Tommy’s Pantry Board Member, Chair of Fundraising Committee
Tommy’s Pantry Board Member, At-large
Tommy’s Pantry Board Member, At-large
Tommy’s Pantry collaborates with PTA leaders, school counselors, administration and ESOL teachers from each of our schools, Blair school counselors, the City of Takoma Park, and county social workers. With the help of all of these people and organizations, we have quick and direct contact with families who need help. Rest assured that we are reaching far into the community – all across Takoma Park and the folks from the East Silver Spring neighborhood.