Monthly Update 10.21.2022: Fundraiser recap, Street Fest & NEW volunteer slots!
Fall Fundraiser Recap
- On Sunday, October 2nd, Tommy’s Pantry hosted its first annual fundraiser. It was a great success, thanks to our wonderful Takoma Park and East Silver Spring community of generous supporters! We were able to meet our goal of $25,000 for this event which will keep us going for another three months. We received two $2,500 donation matches from the Tommy Raskin Memorial Fund for People & Animals.
Tommy’s Pantry at Takoma Street Fest on Sunday
- Thank you to all who stopped by the Tommy’s Pantry booth at Takoma Park’s Street Fest on Sunday, October 23. Our Giving Tree raised almost $1,500 and we now have lots of festive cards for our Thanksgiving food boxes.
PETA ThanksVegan Food Giveaway at Tommy’s Pantry
- PETA will sponsor a special vegan Thanksgiving distribution on Saturday, November 12th at 10am at 630 Silver Spring Ave, Silver Spring, MD. Items offered will include fresh fruits and vegetables, a meat alternative roast, and handmade plant and synthetic fiber winter hats.
NEW volunteer opportunities for November NOW AVAILABLE
- Visit the Tommy’s Pantry SignUp Genius page to sign up to help alleviate food insecurity in our community. Students can earn SSL hours. You can also inquire about group volunteer bookings by emailing Sarah at email@example.com. Ages 11 and up.
- Your financial contributions go directly into the kitchens and homes of our friends and neighbors. To continue this work, your donations and volunteer support remain crucial. Please consider donating or signing up to volunteer today! Please visit our website at tommyspantry.org to donate.
- As a Capital Area Food Bank partner, Tommy’s Pantry is able to receive free produce to distribute when it is available. We hope to resume produce service as soon as there is inventory we can order. Please check in on our SignUp Genius page in the coming weeks to find out how you can help distribute fresh fruits and vegetables for Tommy’s Pantry.
Tommy’s Pantry on Social Media
- Follow us on Instagram (@tommyspantrytkpk) and Twitter (@tommyspantry) to get the latest updates and photos from our packing and distribution events.
Receive Assistance with Food & Wellness Items
- Family health/wellness and cleaning supplies will be distributed on Saturday, November 5th, at 8am while supplies last. Available at the back of Church of the Ascension, across the street from East Silver Spring Elementary (630 Silver Spring Ave, Silver Spring, MD). Walk-ups, please email firstname.lastname@example.org in advance.
- Boxes of shelf-stable food will be offered on Saturday, November 19th, at 8am while supplies last. Available at the back of Church of the Ascension, across the street from East Silver Spring Elementary (630 Silver Spring Ave, Silver Spring, MD). Walk-ups, please email email@example.com in advance.
- For the 2022-2023 school year, breakfast, lunch, and dinner will no longer be free for all MCPS students. Funds can be added to student lunch accounts using MySchoolBucks or payments can be made directly to the cafeteria using cash or a check. Families that qualify for any level of Free and Reduced Meals (FARMS) support will still receive FREE meals. Apply online at www.MySchoolApps.com .
Thank you so much for supporting this important community initiative.
Secretary, Tommy’s Pantry & Piney Branch Elementary School PTA Food Support Coordinator
President, Tommy’s Pantry
Meghan Holland McDonald
Vice President, Tommy’s Pantry & Takoma Park Elementary School PTA Food Support Coordinator
Treasurer, Tommy’s Pantry & Liaison to the ESS PTA Health & Wellness Committee
Takoma Park Middle Paraeducator & Tommy’s Pantry Supervisor
TPMS Difference Makers & Tommy’s Pantry Supervisor
Church of the Ascension Clerk of the Works & Liaison to Tommy’s Pantry
Tommy’s Pantry collaborates with PTA leaders, school counselors, administration and ESOL teachers from each of our schools, Blair school counselors, the City of Takoma Park, and county social workers. With the help of all of these people and organizations, we have quick and direct contact with families who need help. Rest assured that we are reaching far into the community – all across Takoma Park and the folks from the East Silver Spring neighborhood.