Dear Takoma Park and Silver Spring families and friends,
Thank you so much to all the car and people decorators, sign carriers, sign makers, candy throwers, marchers, and spectators who supported Tommy’s Pantry during the Takoma Park 4th of July Parade! Enthusiasm from parade spectators and participants helped spread the word about Tommy’s Pantry and how our community can combat food insecurity.
A big thank you to Congressman Jamie Raskin, for his role as Grand Marshall. The event was extra special for Tommy’s Pantry this year because all of our parade participants were invited to his watch party following the parade. We had a chance to mingle with the inspiring Democracy Summer students and cheer on the rest of the parade participants all on the shady lawn at the home of Pat Rumbaugh, the Play Lady. Thank you for all you do, Pat!
We hope everyone will save the date for our fall fundraiser on Sunday, October 29th from 4:00 – 6:00 pm at the Takoma Park home of our generous hosts Adrienne and Steve Tilton. We’re looking forward to another great event and hoping to break our rain streak for fundraisers.
We hope you have a wonderful rest of your summer!
Wendy Kent, President
- Save the Date! Our Tommy’s Pantry Fall Fundraiser will be Sunday, October 29th from 4-6 pm in Takoma Park. Stay tuned for further details.
- Thank you so much to all who marched with and supported Tommy’s Pantry during the Takoma Park 4th of July Parade! And thank you to Congressman Jamie Raskin, for his role as Grand Marshall and his watch party following the parade, which made the event extra special for Tommy’s Pantry this year. Your parade enthusiasm helped spread the word about Tommy’s Pantry and how our community can combat food insecurity. Please keep us in mind for your 4th of July activities next year.
On-Site Little Free Pantry COMING SOON
- Eagle Scout candidate Ian Sellar and Boy Scouts from Troop 33 are nearly finished constructing a Little Free Pantry at our Tommy’s Pantry home at 630 Silver Spring Ave. We are so grateful to be getting a 24-hr onsite resource for food, hygiene, and cleaning items in the Tommy’s Pantry neighborhood. If you are able, please consider donating to help keep our Little Free Pantry full.
Produce Grant Renewed
- Capital Area Food Bank (CAFB) will continue providing Tommy’s Pantry with monthly deliveries of boxes of assorted fresh fruits and vegetables. However, CAFB budget restrictions have dropped our produce allotment down to half of what we were receiving (from 320 boxes to 160 boxes). Fresh produce will continue to be available while supplies last on a first-come, first-served basis at all of our Saturday food distributions through the end of 2023 (and hopefully beyond). Check the News page on our website for real-time produce updates.
- New LATER morning distribution times have been added to our volunteer Sign Up! Please nudge your high schooler to come help distribute boxes to our walk-up recipients from 8:45 – 9:45 am on our distribution Saturdays.
- Visit the Tommy’s Pantry Sign Up page to sign up to volunteer throughout the summer to help alleviate food insecurity in our community. Students can earn SSL hours. You can also inquire about group volunteer bookings for September by emailing Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org. Ages 11 and up. With adequate adult supervision, age minimum does not apply to group bookings. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0c4eaca72ea1fe3-tommys#/
- Special thanks to our recent volunteer groups: Sligo Creek Co-op School and Lumina!
Tommy’s Pantry News & Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, & News page on our site
- You can follow us on Instagram (@tommyspantrytkpk), our Tommy’s Pantry Facebook page, and Twitter (@tommyspantry) to get the latest updates and photos from our packing and distribution events.
- The Tommy’s Pantry website features a News tab, where you can stay up-to-date with our latest newsletters, donation drives, and events.
Receive Assistance with Food & Wellness Items
- Family health/wellness and cleaning supplies will be distributed on Saturday, August 5th, at 7:30 am while supplies last. Available at the back of Church of the Ascension, across the street from East Silver Spring Elementary (630 Silver Spring Ave, Silver Spring, MD). Walk-ups, please email email@example.com in advance.
- Boxes of shelf-stable food and fresh fruits and vegetables will be offered on Saturday, August 19th, at 7:30 am while supplies last. Available at the back of Church of the Ascension, across the street from East Silver Spring Elementary (630 Silver Spring Ave, Silver Spring, MD). Walk-ups, please email firstname.lastname@example.org in advance.
- Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) offers FREE summer meals to youth aged 18 years old and younger. For locations, menus, and more information about these free summer meals offered by MCPS, please visit https://www2.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/food-and-nutrition/programs/.
- Additional information about free food available to children throughout the summer can be found at kidsmealsdmv.org (& en español a comidasparaninos.org).
Thank you so much for supporting this important community initiative.
Tommy’s Pantry President
Tommy’s Pantry Vice President
Tommy’s Pantry Treasurer
Tommy’s Pantry Secretary
Tommy’s Pantry Board Member, Chair of Fundraising Committee
Tommy’s Pantry Board Member, At-large
Tommy’s Pantry Board Member, At-large
Tommy’s Pantry collaborates with PTA leaders, school counselors, administration and ESOL teachers from each of our schools, Blair school counselors, the City of Takoma Park, and county social workers. With the help of all of these people and organizations, we have quick and direct contact with families who need help. Rest assured that we are reaching far into the community – all across Takoma Park and the folks from the East Silver Spring neighborhood.