Dear Takoma Park and Silver Spring families and friends,
Have you seen the new look of our website? If not, get your internet browser over to tommyspantry.org to check out the new photos featuring many of our devoted volunteers, translation features, and user-friendly navigation we’ve recently added to the site. We hope these upgrades make our services, volunteer opportunities, and donor events easier to find.
While visiting our website, don’t forget to reserve your spot at our Fall Fundraiser! So far, we are 48% toward our fundraising goal, and we still have a long way to go. Please consider purchasing a ticket today to ensure Tommy’s Pantry can serve our community at full capacity through 2024.
Date: Sunday, October 29th
Time: 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Location: Takoma Park, MD 20912
Tickets: Secure your spot by purchasing a ticket at:
Joining us at our Fall Fundraiser reaffirms your dedication to our mission. Our community depends on the assistance we provide, and we can not do it without your help.
Wendy Kent, President
- Fall Fundraiser: Tickets are still available for our Tommy’s Pantry Fall Fundraiser on Sunday, October 29th, from 4:00 to 6:00 pm. Join us at the Takoma Park home of our generous hosts, Adrienne and Steve Tilton, for an evening of celebration, light refreshments, and guest speakers Jamie and Sarah Raskin. All proceeds from this event will be dedicated to purchasing supplies for our 2024 distributions. Please consider supporting our organization’s mission by purchasing a ticket today at: https://www.zeffy.com/en-US/ticketing/56cf5eac-5d70-421e-b05f-2ddf534101fb. Together, we can combat food insecurity and provide essential health and hygiene items not covered by SNAP-EBT (food stamps), ensuring a basic level of dignity for all in our community.
- Final Weeks of Handmade/New Hat Drive: Our Tommy’s Pantry hat drive is in full swing! We are collecting new machine-washable store-bought or handmade hats until October 30th, 2023, and we still need at least 50 more hats. For more details, drop-off locations, and a free knit hat pattern, please visit the News page on our website.
Street Fest Recap
- Thank you to all who stopped by the Tommy’s Pantry booth at Takoma Park’s Street Fest October 1st. Together, we made 100 cards for our Thanksgiving food boxes!
- New volunteer opportunities for November have been added to our volunteer Sign Up! To join us in alleviating food insecurity in our community, visit the Tommy’s Pantry Sign Up page at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0c4eaca72ea1fe3-tommys#/. Students can earn SSL hours.
- Additionally, you can inquire about group volunteer bookings for December and January by emailing Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org. Ages 11 and up.
- Weekday volunteers with muscle are needed! If you are available on some Mondays, Wednesdays, and/or Fridays, we could use your help unloading deliveries and picking up our wellness supplies. Please email email@example.com for more info.
- High-school ambassadors wanted to assist supervisors with Saturday packing operations! (Looks great on a college application!) Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info if interested.
- Special thanks to our recent volunteer groups: Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church and First Congregational UCC!
Tommy’s Pantry News & Social Media:
- Stay connected with us on social media! You can follow us on Instagram (@tommyspantrytkpk), and like our Tommy’s Pantry Facebook page.
- For even more information and photos from our packing and distribution events, visit the News page on our website.
- Want to get this newsletter sent to your inbox? Email email@example.com to subscribe.
Receive Assistance with Food & Wellness Items:
- Family health/wellness and cleaning supplies distribution: Join us on Saturday, November 4th, at 7:30 am while supplies last. The drive-up distribution location is at the back of Church of the Ascension, across the street from East Silver Spring Elementary (630 Silver Spring Ave, Silver Spring, MD). If you plan to walk up, please email firstname.lastname@example.org in advance.
- Shelf-stable food and fresh fruits and vegetables distribution: Food boxes will be offered on Saturday, November 18th, at 7:30 am while supplies last. The drive-up distribution location is at the back of Church of the Ascension, across the street from East Silver Spring Elementary (630 Silver Spring Ave, Silver Spring, MD). If you plan to walk up, please email email@example.com in advance.
- Direct Cash Assistance for Residents of Takoma Park, MD: Eligible households can receive a one-time payment of $1,000 from the City of Takoma Park. Applications are due by October 31, 2023. For more information and translation features, please visit the News page on our website.
- For the 2023-2024 school year: Families can add funds to student lunch accounts using MySchoolBucks, or payments can be made directly to the cafeteria using cash or a check. Families that qualify for any level of Free and Reduced Meals (FARMS) support will still receive FREE meals. To apply online, visit www.MySchoolApps.com.
Thank you for your continued support of this vital community initiative.
Tommy’s Pantry President
Tommy’s Pantry Vice President
Tommy’s Pantry Treasurer
Tommy’s Pantry Secretary
Tommy’s Pantry Board Member, Chair of Fundraising & Finance Committee
Tommy’s Pantry Board Member, At-large
Tommy’s Pantry Board Member, At-large
Tommy’s Pantry collaborates with PTA leaders, school counselors, administration and ESOL teachers from each of our schools, Blair school counselors, the City of Takoma Park, and county social workers. With the help of all of these people and organizations, we have quick and direct contact with families who need help. Rest assured that we are reaching far into the community – all across Takoma Park and the folks from the East Silver Spring neighborhood.